Thursday, February 2, 2012

Thanks to all the support...

I began this blog as a way to provide accountability as I embarked on this journey to improve my health.  And I have many ways my health needs improvement:)  But this has ended up being such a cathartic journal.  Life has been a challenge to say the least lately and having this forum to write and share about it and get so much encouragement back has been such a blessing.

I should get back to the health program I have begun and share what it has done for me...As I  have been sharing, I am facing some major family struggles at the moment.  Normally, with my fibromyalgia I would probably be unable to function very well and wouldn't have the energy to cope with all that is going on.  This health program has helped because I am feeling better physically.  I have more energy and have been able to keep going throughout the day.  I don't get to the afternoon and need a nap everyday like I was doing last term in school. 

No, the program isn't stopping the stress or calming my emotions as I struggle with the relationship tension in my family right now.   I am an emotional basketcase...but physically I am stronger than I was even a few weeks ago.  That is helpful in coping with the stress.  Typically, when facing stress like this, I would be eating more or having a few drinks in the evening to cope with all that is going on.  I am amazed, actually, that I have been staying on my program, but I really want to set a good example to my kids in one area of my life...guess this is the one for the moment.

I want to encourage those of you who struggle with the emotional eating that you can do this program if you want to make a change in your health.  I would love to come alongside you if you want to partner up with someone on this journey to health.  I think the more support you have around you the easier it is to stick with something like this because you have someone you are accountable to.  I love this program because it includes a health coach.  There is someone I can call anytime I am struggling with the program or anything else. 

I am so thankful that I have been able to stick with the healthier eating and for all the words of encouragement this blog has brought my way.  In the coming weeks I need to find a way to cope with the stress and reunite my family at the same time.  I have already cut everything out of my schedule I can ...now I need to add in some special one on one time with my children.  That is what is important in life, relationships!  As I considered cutting school to work on family issues, I think I have come to the conclusion it is better to show them the example of completing what I start and just finding a way to work through the tough times as I go.  Somehow, at the same time, I need to let them know that they are all more important than my schooling because they are so much more important to me.  If I were to quit school to work on these issues, I would have to find a job right away and that would be less flexible than being in school is.  I would need to be gone more hours of every day.  the good thing would be that when I was home I could be more present and not working on homework at all hours.

This term is only 6-7 more weeks if we can just hold on that long.  Yes next term is full time student teaching, but there won't be classes on top of it.  Hopefully I will be able to do more of my work sample while I am at the school and make my home time more focused on family instead of school.  And then, of course, I will also be job hunting!

So, in summary, I am very thankful to be on this program and working on my health.  I have only been able to cut one medicine and was hoping to cut more by this time (especially when I got the bill for switching my insurance to a 3month supply with a mail order company...ouch).  But I need to get the stress under control to help the fibromyalgia.  I am at the point in the program that I should be able to add exercise (not sure where that will fit in) and exercise is a great tool for helping relieve stress. 

anyone reading this who prays...I could use prayer in several areas...how to balance school and family in a way that helps my kids to feel valued and at the same time, see me be able to accomplish this goal of finishing school and beginning a career that makes a difference in someones life, decisions regarding my dog and what to do with her, prayer for each of my kids as they struggle with my school stress while I am in the last push to get done, and prayer in dealing with stress and anxiety, that my doctor would be able to work with me in finding some anti anxiety medicines that will help.  I know when I took that on a more regular basis it really helped my fibromyalgia pain as well and I didn't need as much pain medicine.  I go in tomorrow.  I could also use prayer that I would find time to get all my homework down and that I could put together a good work sample, and of course prayer that I will be able to have a job lined up after graduation that is in the local area and will pay enough to support my family and help me pay back my student loans....

Maybe one day I will even ask for prayer in finding someone new, but I honestly don't have time for that right now:)  Although, I have to say, that when dealing with so much stress, it sure would be nice to have someone to talk things over with, someone to just hold me while I am sitting there bawling my eyes out...who withholds any judgement and just loves me (and my kids even if they hurt me).  Not sure there will be anyone like that out there...if not, I will just continue on my own.

Keep eating healthy, exercising, and taking care of yourself...yes that includes some "you" time or pampering...that is part of improving your health too.  I got a massage today and it was wonderful and just what I needed right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment